Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Surgery Day Recap

Hey! Had my surgery on Monday. Got up really early and my parents picked me up and drove me to UC Irvine. I still had my cold, so I wasn't 100% sure they were going to do the surgery.

So I get all checked in, and then my doctor and anesthesiology and some others come by to decide if they wanna do it. Finally they decided it's fine.

Then the nurse gives me an IV, with much trouble because I was so dry! The nurses were smacking my hand for like 5 minutes. Then I talk to my parents and they wheel me in, it all seemed to go as planned. I was out at 1:30. They gave me some pain meds and nausea meds right after and finally water!! I was drowsy and out of it for a few hours. Then the gas pain got SO bad that the nurse had me walk and that helped a lot. (you have gas because they pump you full of air when they do the surgery)

So I had trouble filling my prescription for the meds the day before so we spent hours trying to get someone to fix it, and nobody seemed to take care of it but finally it was ruled the perscription was fine. Gee thanks CVS!

They had taken so long messing around with that that my meds had worn off and they couldn't give me more. Ack, but finally at about 7 after waiting like 30 minutes for wheelchair to come pick me up, we left. My parents live about an hour and a half away from the hospital. That ride was not too pleasant. Finally when we got home my dad went to get my meds.

The meds help a little, still really sore, and my neck and my shoulder hurt. It's hard to get up and down from bed or a seat. I'm doing a lot better today. Oddly enough I have no sense of smell right now and barely any taste, maybe from the oxygen or my cold, but hey! My cold feels about 98% better yay.

So overall it went well, I wish I got to talk to my surgeon after surgery. But nope. But overall I think I know what to do.

Heres to hoping this pain dies quickly! I'm going home from my parents tonight.



  1. Wow, that's crazy to me that your surgeon didn't come see you after surgery - my surgeon better be the first person I see so I can demand pain medication! Is he not very hands-on post-op, or what? :(

    I'm glad you're feeling better from your cold! And congrats on making it into bandland, can't wait to join you this upcoming Monday!! :)

  2. Haha well the nurses gave me meds as soon as I was conscious they asked how it hurt on a scale of 1-10 then kept giving me meds in my IV till it was managable. I guess I was kinda out of it for several hours after, wouldn't of been much use to talk to me. He did talk to my parents though.

    My doctor traveled to do it at that hospital, my insurance required a "center of excellence" so he probably just left.

  3. I am happy the surgery part is in your past. Your on your way Heather :)